The NRSWA units 1-6 & 9 is for operatives that work on the public highway and for operatives who reinstate roadways in line with the Specification for Reinstatement of Openings in the Highway and the NRSWA 1991.
This course provides learners with the skills and knowledge to perform operative duties, such as, locating underground apparatus, setting up equipment safely, how to safely carry out an excavation, and how to reinstate highways and streets using cold-lay bituminous materials.
Learners will be taught:
- Risks associated with striking underground apparatus.
- Recognise the signs of underground services and interpret utility plans.
- Use tools, including CAT and Genny to locate underground structures.
- Mark services ready for excavation.
- Awareness of signing, lighting, and guarding the workplace, as well as the erection of temporary traffic signals.
- Methods of excavation, safety measures in the use of road drills and saws, and how to support utility apparatus within the excavation.
- Selection and storage of excavated materials for re-use placing and compaction of backfill and sub-base materials.
- Laying and compaction of cold-lay bituminous materials.
The NRSWA units 1-6 & 9 is taught in the classroom and practically, all theory will be tested in a safe, supervised environment to ensure full understanding of the material.